Hausratversicherung is the name given in Germany to contents insurance.

Put quite simply, Hausratversicherung covers the contents of your flat or house and insures them against theft or damage through fire, water, or vandalism. Depending on which insurance company you select, it may also cover other events.

The insurance premium depends on the size of the flat that you wish to insure, but may also take into consideration the type of locks used. It is important to ensure that the amount you insure the contents for does actually cover the entire value, otherwise you may be in a situation of Unterversicherung – being underinsured.

To hear a simple explanation and a short discussion in German, listen to the podcast:

(Press the “play” button to listen to the podcast)

Download the MP3 file | Subscribe to the podcast

Disclaimer: this podcast is a simple explanation for non-native speakers. For insurance advice, please contact a Versicherungsvertreter or Versicherungsmakler.

Please click on ACCEPT to give us permission to set cookies [more information]

This website uses cookies to give you the best browsing experience possible. Cookies are small text files that are stored by the web browser on your computer. Most of the cookies that we use are so-called “Session cookies”. These are automatically deleted after your visit. The cookies do not damage your computer system or contain viruses. Please read our privacy information page for more details or to revoke permission.